6.16.2005

One more thing

Squeaky placed 2nd, 2nd and LAST in the three tournaments. Normally, that's a career outing for the mousy one. However, upon closer inspection, his night hinged on one key hand that doomed him to a second place finish in Tournament 1.

Doc was down to his last few chips, about $1,000 and the blinds were gonan eat him up within a few hands. Squeaky was in the pot, when Doc - the last person to act, went all in. Due to Squeaky's call, and the folded blinds, there was $2,000 in the pot, and it would cost Squeaky $500 to call.

For those of you bad at math, and we here at the MPT love all of you, that's $500 to win $2,000 or 4-1 pot odds. Squeaky was the big stack at this time, and had been playing very well. With such a low stack, Doc was probably going to make that move with any moderate hand.

What, you say, are Squeaky's odds? Let's say Doc has AA and Squeaky has 27o. The odds (according to the internet, which we all know is always correct), are about 4.5-1. Given the fact that Doc is going to play a wider range of hands, the odds are almost certainly better than that. Hell, even if Doc had an overpair to Squeaky's under pair, it's still 4-1. So basically, Squeaky gave away his money in that hand. As the chip leader, with the ability to eliminate the competition, he ran screaming into the woods to his doom.

Squeaky, next time, make that play against me too, would you? I need the help.

5 Comments:

At 6/20/2005 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not understand, did he call or fold, you left that part out

 
At 6/20/2005 11:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

"He ran screaming into the woods" is MPT speak for fold...

So he folded and ended up being taken out by the guy he should have eliminated earlier.

 
At 6/24/2005 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I can not blog under doc I will let you know my thoughts. First the only person to blame for my 3 win night is the Magic man. During a previous game I made a comment of " how come nobody folds when I come up with a big bet" The magic man said well you have a reputation for betting with nothing. Well that night I told myself it is a time for tight play. I will only go big when I have a big hand. That is what I did, and every time I guess you thought I was making a bluff.................................10 hours and 300$ later I guess I was not......... Thank You All

Doc

 
At 6/25/2005 8:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sure Doc. 1 hand in the second tourney led you to all three wins. I'm trying to help Squeaky, becuase he is my friend. You're just letting him suck.

Also, kudos to learning your lesson! I see you had 'professionals' seal your driveway.

 
At 6/30/2005 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If anything, I can learn from my mistakes in driveways and in poker.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home