8.22.2005

Strange things afoot at the Cardinal Liquor

The following recounts events on the morning of August 21 at approximately 9:00am. These comments reflect my best recollection of the events.........

My father and I went off to the Cardinal Liquor to pick up a sixer of O'douls for my brothers "Surprise" 40th birthday party. While both of us agree that if you have to resort to drinking O'Douls what's the point, there were others attending the festivities that enojoy their non alcoholic brew. Anyways, as we are walking to the store a gentleman comes flying out of the liquor store almost running us over to his car. As my father and I regained our balance from what we assumed to be an inadvertant trampling, I looked back towards the parking lot and noticed the gentleman had opened the driver side door and was slumped across the front seat of the car.

Strange I thought as I turned to walk into the store..... then it hit me, that car was none other than Paul "Doc" Brown's green Honda. Wondering what was up I turned and slowly approached the vehicle. I could now see through the windshield....Paul was frantically searching for something. I was becoming concerned.

I approached the open driver side door and said, "Paul is everything OK?"

He jumped back out of the car with such force I had to take a couple of steps back or be run over again. He was shaking, not like Khyle or Halfman with pocket aces this was much worse. Something was seriously amiss. "Dude", he said with such panic in his voice and a look of concern in his face, "I'm seven cents short."

Huh, what? I didn't understand. He grabbed me by the shoulders and repeated almost screaming in his panic...."DUDE....I'M 7 CENTS SHORT...gotta find it, what am I going to do." I reached into my pocket to grab a dollar not knowing what he required the money for, but his actions told me that this was a serious issue. He dove back into the car scrambling to find pennys or hopefully a nickel. After what seemed like minutes he emerged with a relieved smile, flashed the 7 cents and bolted for the liquor store.

I stood at his car, door still open wondering what the hell just happened. Moments later he left the store with a serene look on his face and a brown paper bag in his hand. All appeared to be inorder. He walked past me, got into the car looked up and showed me the contents of the bag. As I noticed it as a 40 schlitz malt liquor he stated, "I was 7 cents short....they weren't going to give it to me......but I found it, I found it on the floor of my car......." And with a laugh (more of a cackle) he drove off towards Mockingbird Ct.

1 Comments:

At 8/22/2005 6:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Was he muttering something about Tic Tacs?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home